Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valdosta in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized by settlers from Liberty County on Dec 3, 1864. The first minister, Rev. Eli Graves, came from Brooks County once a month to hold services in the courthouse before the first church was dedicated in 1867. Early elders were S.M. Varnedoe, R. M. Campbell, and S. E. Myddleton, with W.A. Pardee, Deacon. In 1891 a second building was dedicated. The present building, erected in 1907-1909 and designed by J.W. Butt and M.E. Morris, Atlanta, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, Nov 2, 1987.
 
Erected 1993 by The Valdosta Town Committee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is October 2, 1783.
 
Location. 30° 50.04′ N, 83° 16.823′ W. Marker is in Valdosta, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is at the intersection of North Patterson Street (Alternate Georgia Route 31) and East Magnolia Street, on the left when traveling south on North Patterson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 313 North Patterson Street, Valdosta GA 31601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker. Flame of Freedom (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); United States Bicentennial — Lowndes County Sesquicentennial (about 600 feet away); Spanish American War Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); September 11, 2001 Memorial (about 700 feet away); Lowndes County Confederate Monument (about 700 feet away); Lowndes County (about 800 feet away); Ashley Street Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); Valdosta City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valdosta.
 
Also see . . .  First Presbyterian Church of Valdosta. A history of the church. (Submitted on February 17, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
3. First Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 722 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 14, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27524

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 19, 2024