South Bend in St. Joseph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Jewish Cemetery Site
Hebrew Society purchased larger tract of land 1883: bodies from original cemetery reinterred at new site 1884: later named Rose Hill cemetery. Many society members were part of migration starting in 1820s of German-speaking Jews seeking civil liberties. During twentieth century Jewish population in area was second or third largest in state.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Michiana Jewish Historical Society. (Marker Number 71.2002.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 41° 41.046′ N, 86° 14.666′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 575 N Niles Ave, South Bend IN 46617, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierre Freischutz Navarre Log Cabin (approx. Ό mile away); On This Site South Bend Was Founded (approx. half a mile away); Special Olympics Island (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lincoln & Dixie Highways (approx. 0.6 miles away); Knute Rockne (approx. 0.6 miles away); Howard Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Joseph County Civil War Monument (approx. 0.7 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Bend.
Also see . . . IHB Annotations. The Indiana Historical Bureau (IHB) provides annotations for the text of this marker on their website. (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Additional keywords. Jewish
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2007, by Rosanne Kroen of South Bend, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,411 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2007, by Rosanne Kroen of South Bend, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.