Piqua in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Piqua Plaza
Sign of the Past
Construction began on the Plaza Hotel in 1890. Yost designed the hotel in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, highlighted by a massive Cleveland stone facade covering five floors. The exterior was covered with carvings of faces, animals and plants all created by William Whyte and John Clifford. The two were forced to work on their carvings after the stones had been erected. Using handmade scaffolding, they were able to complete hundreds of designs without any delays in the construction timetable. The building immediately became a symbol of civic pride and community growth. The Plaza was more than just a building, more than just a hotel. Piqua's largest newspaper, the Miami Helmet, referred to the structure as "A Poem in Stone". When the grand opening was held in October of 1891, the hotel contained one hundred rooms, a bathing area, a billiard parlor, a barber shop and the city's first elevator.
The Plaza quickly became the center for many of the community's firsts. When it was built, there was not enough land available for the number of outhouses required. The city council authorized the digging of the city's first sewer line. It ran down Wayne Street and then east to dump into the Great Miami River. The Plaza Hotel literally gave Piqua its first indoor plumbing. In 1891, the hotel operated its own electric generating plant to power over nine hundred lights, more than the rest of the city put together, The city also put down brick paving blocks on the street in front of the Plaza, resulting in one of Piqua's earliest paved streets.
The Plaza Hotel, later known as the Favorite Hotel and then the Fort Piqua Hotel, was the center for many of the city's defining events. The first electric street railway in Piqua in 1890 tied the hotel to the rest of the city. When bus routes took over in the early 1930's, the hotel building served as a terminal and ticket counter. The community's love-hate relationship with alcohol was often centered at the hotel. In the late 1890's, the Piqua Anti-Saloon League met in the public spaces of the hotel. But when national prohibition ended in 1933, Der Ratskeller, Piqua's first post-prohibition bar, opened in the basement of the hotel. In 1945, the Piqua chapter of the N.A.A.C.P. organized a sit-in at the bus stop lunch counter at the southeast corner of the hotel. This civil rights action was the beginning of the end of segregation in local restaurants.
The hotel has been the site of political speeches by Republican presidential candidates Teddy Roosevelt, William McKinley, William Howard Taft, Warren G. Harding, Democratic candidate James M. Cox and Socialist candidate Eugene V. Debs. Notable visitors to the hotel have included Henry Houdini (1917), John Phillip Sousa (1912) and the Cincinnati Red Legs baseball team (1908). Over one hundred different businesses and social service institutions have called the hotel structure home, everything from antiques to groceries and from union offices to churches. The building has seen its share of tragedies, including the 1913 Flood and the murder of Police Officer Jan Mulder (1970) in the main lobby.
The restoration and renovation of the deteriorating building began as a community project as early as 1994. It took the combined efforts of the City of Piqua, the Hotel-Library Legacy Alliance (private funding), various foundations, the State of Ohio, federal and state. historic tax credit experts and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency to fund the twenty-two million dollar project. The structure was formally rededicated on October 19, 2008 as the Fort Piqua Plaza. The building now houses the Piqua Public Library, two ground floor commercial establishments and a community meeting center on the beautifully restored historic fourth floor.
Fort Piqua Plaza Timeline
1891 Hotel Plaza Opened
1901 Piqua savings opened in hotel
1914 Hotel massively remodeled by Stanhope Boat
1924 Fourth floor restaurant closed
1928 Fifteen hotel rooms added to fourth floor
1934 Dodge taxi and Bus Company opened
1947 Piqua Central Labor Union office opened
1950 Union terminal serviced 50 buses a day
1963 Window air conditioner were purchased
1971 Piqua News Stand opened
1984 Hotel closed and replaced with apartments
2008 Building formally rededicated
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1891.
Location. 40° 8.933′ N, 84° 14.383′ W. Marker is in Piqua, Ohio, in Miami County. It is at the intersection of North Main Street and High Street, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 High St, Piqua OH 45356, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Ohio’s Dayton Metro, in the Miami Valley, and in the Till Plains. It is also in the American Midwest and in the Corn Belt. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, and the Northwest Territory.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Great Miami River (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Great Miami River (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mills Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Great Miami River (within shouting distance of this marker); Piqua Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Great Miami River (within shouting distance of this marker); McCulloch (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. Don Gentile (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piqua.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 10, 2025. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2025, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 218 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2025, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.


