Near Burnet in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Longhorn Cavern Administration Building
Longhorn Cavern opened as a state park in 1932. From 1934 to 1942, Company 854 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked here to explore and develop the cavern. Using hand labor and native materials, the CCC workers built this structure in a style now known as National Park Service (NPS) Rustic. Completed by 1936, the one-story stone pavilion served as administrative offices for the park until 1967. An outside stairway leads to an observation terrace.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9725.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural Features • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1932.
Location. 30° 41.087′ N, 98° 21.041′ W. Marker is near Burnet, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker can be reached from Park Rd 4 S. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burnet TX 78611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Longhorn Caverns (within shouting distance of this marker); Hoover's Valley CemeteryThe Tobey Community Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fisher - Miller - Grant (approx. 4.7 miles away); Crownover Chapel (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Antlers Caboose Rooms (approx. 5.3 miles away); McKinley Coach (approx. 5.4 miles away); Antlers Hotel (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burnet.
Also see . . . Longhorn Caverns State Park. (Submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 701 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on September 28, 2019, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on February 16, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.