Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Walnut Creek in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Dole House

 
 
The Dole House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 18, 2010
1. The Dole House Marker
Inscription.  
Built by Eldridge Dole c. 1879
Renovation completed April 2004

Renovation
Greater Bay Development Corp.
Walnut Creek

Architect
Johnson Lyman Architects
Walnut Creek

Contractor
Guilkey Construction, Inc.

Dedicated to His Glory
Twenty Fourth Day of May
Two Thousand and Four

Walnut Creek Historical Society
Site No. 10

 
Erected 2004. (Marker Number 10.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 37° 53.848′ N, 122° 3.717′ W. Marker is in Walnut Creek, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Mt. Diablo Boulevard west of Locust Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1614 Mt Diablo Boulevard, Walnut Creek CA 94596, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Walnut Creek Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Dole House
The Dole House (1879 or 1887) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 18, 2010
2. The Dole House (1879 or 1887)
"A two-story wood frame structure of Victorian-style with a decorated frieze and brackets for roof trim. Roof is medium hip type with boxed cornice. Windows are two sash double-hung, with plain moulding for surrounding detail. This is currently the location of the Walkabout Birkenstock Shoe Store. Circa 1887".- Revised Preliminary Historical Inventory (1989), Contra Costa County Community Development Department. {Note the Inventory has a construction date of 1887 while the marker gives an 1879 date.)
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); First Church of Christ, Scientist (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial Building (about 400 feet away); Walnut Creek Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); Oldest Commercial Building (about 500 feet away); Sherburne Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walnut Creek.
 
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the front of the building to the left of the front steps.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 19, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,201 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on February 18, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27644

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 8, 2022