Marble Falls in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Roper Hotel
George C. and Elizabeth Roper constructed this double-galleried hotel building about 1888. In the growing town of Marble Falls, The Roper Hotel became a popular stop for visiting businessmen and dignitaries. It was purchased by W. F. Smith in 1926 and later operated as The Central Hotel and The Francis House. His son R. O. Smith, who became manager in the 1930s, later served as mayor of Marble Falls. The hotel remained in the Smith family until 1963.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9745.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1888.
Location. 30° 34.282′ N, 98° 16.547′ W. Marker is in Marble Falls, Texas, in Burnet County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd St. and U.S. 281, on the right when traveling west on 3rd St.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 707 3rd St, Marble Falls TX 78654, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michel's Drug Store (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jim Lovell (about 600 feet away); 1910 Post Office Building (about 700 feet away); Marble Falls Factory Site (about 700 feet away); Otto Ebeling House (approx. ¼ mile away); Governor O. M. Roberts' House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Christian-Matern House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Floyd Tillman (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marble Falls.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,216 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 18, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.