Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sylvania in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad

Ohio Historical Marker

 
 
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
1. Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker
Inscription.  This rail line was the original route of the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad, the first railroad to operate west of the Allegheny Mountains. The train made its initial run on October 3, 1836 from Toledo to Adrian, a total of approximately thirty miles. In 1837, a steam locomotive replaced horses as the train's engine. The E. & K. R.R. opened markets from Lake Erie to the Michigan Territory.
 
Erected 1999 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, City of Sylvania, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 32-48.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
 
Location. 41° 42.936′ N, 83° 42.296′ W. Marker is in Sylvania, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Monroe Street 0.1 miles west of Main Street, on the right when traveling west. This historical
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
2. Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker
Close-up view of the historical marker showing the image of the Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad train and coach car.
marker is located in downtown Sylvania where Monroe Street crosses the railroad tracks, on the north side of Monroe Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania OH 43560, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Toledo and Western Railway Company (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sister City Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sylvania Heritage Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1858 Railroad Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1850 Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stone Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Log Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Railroad Car Barn (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvania.
 
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
3. Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker
View looking north of the railroad tracks, with the historical marker on the left side of the picture, situated on the west side of the railroad tracks and on the north side of Monroe Street.
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
4. Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker
View looking west on Monroe Street with the historical marker in the foreground.
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, February 20, 2010
5. Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Marker
View looking south with historical marker in the foreground.
Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad image. Click for full size.
Illustration by Henry Howe, circa 1909
6. Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad
Illustration of the Erie and Kalamazoo, called "the pioneer railroad of the West," from Henry Howe's "Historical Collection of Ohio," 1909. The E&K was the first railroad operated west of the Alleghenies, chartered in 1833 to connect Port Lawrence (later renamed Toledo) with the Kalamazoo River. Source: The Ohio History Connection Collection
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,005 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   6. submitted on February 24, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 6, 2020