Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Somerville in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Permanent Court House, Morgan County

 
 
First Permanent Court House, Morgan County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, February 20, 2010
1. First Permanent Court House, Morgan County Marker
Inscription.  Built circa 1837 with special taxes levied for that purpose by Alabama Legislature, 1836.

Replaced first court house, built circa 1825.

Somerville was incorporated, 1819, county seat 1819-1891.

Cotaco County created February 8, 1818, renamed Morgan County, June 14, 1821.
 
Erected 1967 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 8, 1997.
 
Location. 34° 28.38′ N, 86° 47.897′ W. Marker is in Somerville, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Broad Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Somerville AL 35670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Somerville, Alabama (within shouting distance of this marker); The Huey Helicopter (approx. 6.3 miles away); T-34 C Mentor Plane
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 6.3 miles away); USS San Jose (AFS-7)Anchors / BOFORS TWIN 40mm Anti-Aircraft Gun (approx. 6.3 miles away); M601A Tank (approx. 6.3 miles away); United States Navy (approx. 6.3 miles away); United States Army (approx. 6.3 miles away); Morgan County Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.3 miles away).
 
First Permanent Court House, Morgan County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lugnuts, February 18, 2019
2. First Permanent Court House, Morgan County Marker
The marker was relocated a few feet since it was first posted and continues to deteriorate.
First Permanent Court House, Morgan County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr
3. First Permanent Court House, Morgan County Marker
The First Permanent Court House of Morgan County image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, February 20, 2010
4. The First Permanent Court House of Morgan County
This structure is the oldest surviving courthouse building in the State of Alabama. In 1891 the county seat was moved from Somerville to Decatur, Alabama.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,420 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   2. submitted on February 28, 2019, by Lugnuts of Germantown, Wisconsin.   3, 4. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27758

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024