Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Missionary Baptist Church

 
 
First Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, February 20, 2010
1. First Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Led by first pastor Alfred Peters, 21 members organized this church on April 22, 1866, in the home of Sister Jane Young. Services were first held in a storefront building on the banks of the Tennessee River. In 1873 First Missionary purchased a church building from a Methodist congregation on the corner of Market and Canal Streets, NE and used the building as their place of worship until 1919. At this time Dr. Sterrs, S.S. Sykes, and G.F. Oliver secured a $1460 loan to purchase the present property where St. Ann’s Catholic Church was once located. The present church was designed by prominent African American architect W. A. Rayfield in 1921 and constructed for $1250. The building underwent renovations in 1984 and a $260,000 educational wing was added in 1989-90. First Missionary was built through the efforts of professionals, craftsmen, and donations of “nickels and dimes."
 
Erected by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionNotable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is April 22, 1866.
 
Location.
First Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, February 20, 2010
2. First Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
34° 36.87′ N, 86° 59.304′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Vine Street Northwest and Grove Street Northwest, on the left when traveling north on Vine Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur AL 35601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Town Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); African American Heritage in Old Town Decatur, Alabama (about 400 feet away); King's Memorial United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Old Decatur Historic District / Historic Depot (about 700 feet away); First Railroad (about 700 feet away); “An Affair Most Important to Us” - The Federal Right, October 27-28, 1864 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dancy-Polk House (circa 1829) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Votes for Women (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
First Missionary Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, February 20, 2010
3. First Missionary Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,147 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.   2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27765

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 25, 2022