Harris Township in Centre County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Pennsylvania Military Museum / 28th Infantry Division Shrine
The Pennsylvania Military Museum
The Pennsylvania Military Museum honors the Commonwealth's military men and women past and present. It preserves the history of their significant service to the state and the nation through exhibits, programs, and military commemorative events.
The museum is one of 26 museums and historic sites administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. It is located at the intersection of "The Purple Heart Highway" (Route 45) and "The 28th Division Highway" (Route 322).
The 28th Infantry Division Shrine
The museum grounds are home to the 28th Infantry Division Shrine to your right. The Museum and Shrine occupy ground used in 1916 by the Boal Troop, a locally raised military unit that served in WWI as Company A, 107th Machine Gun Battalion in the 28th Division. The Shrine began after WWI when the returning 28th Division veterans erected monuments to their units. It was formally dedicated in 1940 and the "Memory Wall" was completed after WWII. The Shrine was extended in 1997 to commemorate WWII service of the 28th Division units. More information
On the third Sunday of each May, the Pennsylvania National Guard's 28th Infantry Division (Mechanized) meets at the Shrine to pay tribute to their own in a tradition that began in 1919. "A Celebration of Service: Honoring Pennsylvania Veterans" is open to the public.
Wall of Honor
The colorful new museum facade represents military service and campaign ribbons. Each ribbon represents a particular medal given to members of the US Armed Forces. Some of the awards that Pennsylvania veterans have received during the 20th century include:
First Row: Combat/Heroism (left to right)
Medal of Honor (est. 1861)
Distinguished Service Cross (Army est. 1918)
Navy Cross (USN est. 1919)
Air Force Cross (USAF est. 1960)
Silver Star (est. 1918)
Bronze Star (est. 1944)
Second Row: Personal Awards (left to right)
Purple Heart (est. 1932)
Army Commendation Medal (est. 1941)
Navy/Marine Corps Commendation Medal (est. 1960)
Air Force Commendation Medal (est. 1958)
Coast Guard Commendation Medal (est. 1947)
Prisoner of War Medal (est. 1985)
Campaign & Service Awards (left to right)
World War One Victory Medal (est. 1919)
World War Two Victory Medal (est. 1945)
Korean Service Medal (est. 1950)
Pennsylvania Commendation Medal (PA National Guard, est. 1949)
Major General Thomas R. White Ribbon (PA National Guard, est. 1970)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Military • War, World I • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
Location. 40° 46.871′ N, 77° 47.716′ W. Marker is in Harris Township, Pennsylvania, in Centre County. Marker is on Boal Avenue (U.S. 322) just north of Boalsburg Pike, on the right when traveling east. Located in front of the 28th Division Shrine. Best access from the parking area for the Pennsylvania Military Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 Boalsburg Pike, Boalsburg PA 16827, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Coshocton Train Wreck (a few steps from this marker); 109th Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); 28th Signal Battalion (within shouting distance of this marker); The 28th Division Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); The Boal Troop (within shouting distance of this marker); M60A3 Tank (within shouting distance of this marker); 107th Field Artillery (within shouting distance of this marker); 110th Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harris Township.
Also see . . . Pennsylvania Military Museum(Submitted on February 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,136 times since then and 143 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.