Crown Point in Lake County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Old Lake County Courthouse, 1878
The Old Courthouse has been, since its erection in 1878, a landmark in Lake County, Indiana. Construction of the central portion, including the clock tower, began with 500,000 hand-kilned bricks from the Henry Wise Brickyard in Crown Point, combining several aspects of Romanesque and Georgian styles of architecture. North and south wings were added to the original structure in 1907 and 1928.
The Old Lake County Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
Location. 41° 25.045′ N, 87° 21.873′ W. Marker is in Crown Point, Indiana, in Lake County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 231), on the left. Marker is on the east grounds of the former county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crown Point IN 46307, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W.W.II Triangle Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Physician The Lincoln Highway (approx. 7.4 miles away); Lincoln Highway - Ideal Section - 1923 (approx. 7.9 miles away); Griffith's Grand Trunk Depot Museum (approx. 7.9 miles away); Elgin, Joliet, & Eastern Railway Interlocking Tower (approx. 7.9 miles away); The Lincoln Highway / The "Ideal Section" (approx. 7.9 miles away); Ray Nichels (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Grand Old Lady - The Lake County Courthouse. (Submitted on February 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,402 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 21, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on June 15, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.