Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal
The present church building, an outstanding example of Gothic Revival architecture, was designed by Frank Wills and Henry Dudley of New York. Erected at a cost of $37,500, it was dedicated Easter Eve, April 13, 1859, and consecrated January 29, 1860.
National Historic Landmark - 1990.
Bibb Chapel was consecrated in 1886 as a memorial to Wilson Carey Bibb. Ridley Hall, for parish functions, was completed in 1953 as a memorial to Dr. James L. Ridley. Joffrion Hall, dedicated in 1983 as an educational building, was named for the Rev. A. Emile Joffrion, ninth rector.
For 150 years, Nativity was served by only ten rectors, two of whom became bishops. The Rev. Henry C. Lay, second rector, was consecrated Missionary Bishop of the Southwest (1859). The Rev. Randolph R. Claiborne,
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the National Historic Landmarks series list.
Location. 34° 43.824′ N, 86° 35.01′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Eustis Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 Eustis Avenue Southeast, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calhoun House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Site The Huntsville Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harrison Brothers Hardware (about 300 feet away); Constitution Hall (about 400 feet away); Randolph Street Church Of Christ (about 400 feet away); Site - Alabama’s First Constitutional Convention (about 400 feet away); Where Alabama Entered the Union (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,771 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 4, 5. submitted on April 15, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.