Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego in San Diego County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Cole Block Building, 1892
| | Historic Building | |
Erected by Gaslamp Quarter. (Marker Number 42.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the San Diego - Gaslamp Quarter series list.
Location. 32° 42.762′ N, 117° 9.617′ W. Marker is in San Diego, California, in San Diego County. It is in the Gaslamp Quarter. It is at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and G Street, on the right when traveling south on Fifth Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 718 Fifth Ave, San Diego CA 92101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in California’s Peninsular Ranges. It is also on the American Pacific Coast. Globally, it is in North America, on the Ring of Fire, in the Pacific Rim, in the Western Hemisphere, in the Western World, and in the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain and also Mexicos Alta California.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Llewelyn Building, 1887 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierce-Field Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Pats Little Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); The Casino Theatre, 1912 (within shouting distance of this marker); Carriage Works, 1890 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fritz Building, 1873 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Yuma Building, 1882 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Diego.
More about this marker. The marker is located at the SE corner of the Cole Block Building, facing Fifth St.

San Diego City Clerk Digital Archives, circa 1970
4. Cole Block Circa 1970
The Cole Block (building on the left) at 702 Fifth Avenue at G Street. It was the original home of Lion's Clothiers run by Samuel Fox in 1899 after the store's founder, Isaac Kuhn, died. The store became so successful that Fox moved it in 1905 to a larger building on Fifth and E Streets. Designed by architect John B. Stannard in 1891, the building was restored as part of the Gaslamp Quarter preservation.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2025. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2025, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 146 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2025, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


