Sierra Vista in Cochise County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
USO Club / NCO Annex / Army Service Club
Built in 1942
Originally constructed as a USO Club on land purchased by the U.S. Government from Mrs. Margaret Carmichael for the sum of $1.00, this facility served military personnel during World War II. It was closed during periods when Fort Huachuca was deactivated but reopened in 1954 to serve again as an NCO Annex and an Army Service Club. The building was purchased by Tony Shaieb and Roger Barnett in 1975 and was subsequently remodeled and reopened as the Landmark Restaurant, which was a popular Sierra Vista supper club. The Landmark Restaurant itself was destroyed by fire in 1981, and Mr. Shaieb replaced the restaurant in 1985 with what is currently known as the Landmark Plaza.
Erected by Sierra Vista West Rotary Club and Sierra Vista Historical Society.
Location. 31° 33.242′ N, 110° 18.244′ W. Marker is in Sierra Vista, Arizona, in Cochise County. Marker is on West Fry Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carmichael House/Sierra Vista Realty (approx. ¼ mile away); Carmichael General Store/U.S. Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away); La Casita Restaurant (approx. 0.6 miles away); Carmichael Elementary School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Arizona Confederate Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); "Unknown Soldiers" (approx. 0.9 miles away); Union Soldiers Buried in Historic Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); POW/MIA Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sierra Vista.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • War, World II
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,259 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on February 23, 2010. 4. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.