Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Randolph Street Church Of Christ

 
 
Randolph Street Church Of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, June 27, 2009
1. Randolph Street Church Of Christ Marker
Inscription.  Organized as a Christian Church, this is the original congregation of what is now the Church of Christ in Huntsville. A gospel meeting was held in the Courthouse in 1883, conducted by James A. Harding, evangelist and founder of Harding College and David Lipscomb College. This meeting marked the beginning of the church in this community and resulted in the donation of $1,800 for the purchase of the lot. In late 1886, 100,000 bricks were delivered to this site and construction began. The first gospel meeting was held in November 1889, at which time many new members were added to the church. In 1900, members began to refer to themselves as the Church of Christ.
 
Erected 2007 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation.
 
Location. 34° 43.87′ N, 86° 35.061′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Randolph Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near
Randolph Street Church Of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, June 27, 2009
2. Randolph Street Church Of Christ
this postal address: 210 Randolph Avenue Southeast, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Methodism brought into area 1807 First United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Site The Huntsville Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building (about 300 feet away); Calhoun House (about 400 feet away); The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal (about 400 feet away); Harrison Brothers Hardware (about 400 feet away); Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,245 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 27, 2020