Ligonier Township in Laughlintown in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Compass Inn
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 40° 12.715′ N, 79° 11.926′ W. Marker is in Laughlintown, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. It is in Ligonier Township. It is at the intersection of Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) and California Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Lincoln Highway. Marker is located at the eastern front door of the Compass Inn Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1386 Lincoln Highway, Laughlintown PA 15655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the Laurel Highlands and in Greater Pittsburgh. It is also in the American Northeast, in the Mid-Atlantic, in Appalachia, and specifically in Northern Appalachia. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: A different marker also named The Compass Inn (a few steps from this marker); Stagecoach Travel (within shouting distance of this marker); Laughlintown (approx. Ό mile away); Bullet's Defeat (approx. 1.9 miles away); Original Course of Forbes Road (approx. 2 miles away); Loyalhanning (approx. 2.4 miles away); Finding Your Way (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rector Green Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laughlintown.
Regarding The Compass Inn. Added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 24, 1995, the Compass Inn is a historic inn and tavern located in Laughlintown, Pennsylvania. It is a 2 1/2-story, five bay log and stone building in a vernacular Georgian style. The original section was built in 1799 and it is three bays wide. The two bay stone section was added in the 1820s. A clapboarded frame section was added in 1862. It was restored in 1970 and operated as a local history museum. The property
includes a rebuilt barn and blacksmith shop.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2025. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2025, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2025, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.


