Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake View in Dillon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fordís Mill & Pageís Mill / Lake View

 
 
Fordís Mill & Pageís Mill Face of Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, February 17, 2010
1. Fordís Mill & Pageís Mill Face of Marker
Inscription.  In 1792 Major William Ford built a dam at each end of Bear Swamp, creating a millpond and building a grist mill. This area was known as Fordís Mill for many years. In 1870 Dr. C. T. Ford sold the property to his brother-in-law, Joseph N. Page, who soon opened a large general store. The community was renamed Pageís Mill, and in 1877 a post office was opened with J. N. Page as its first postmaster.

After the railroad came through this area in 1900 the town of Pageís Mill grew from the mill, general tore, and post office toward the railroad tracks. The town of Pageís mill was incorporated February 26, 1907. The Fordís Mill / Pageís Mill community, part of Marion County since the county was created in 1798, became part of Dillon County when that county was created in 1910. It was renamed Lake View in 1916.
 
Erected 2007 by the Town of Lake View. (Marker Number 17-14.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Places. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 26, 1862.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
34° 20.97′ N, 79° 9.917′ W. Marker is in Lake View, South Carolina, in Dillon County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake View SC 29563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Meeting House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Drowning Creek (approx. 8Ĺ miles away); Pee Dee Church (approx. 9.2 miles away); Mt. Olive Baptist Church (approx. 10.8 miles away); Kentyre Presbyterian Church (approx. 11 miles away); Tobacco Culture (approx. 11.2 miles away); Mullins Depot / Mullins (approx. 11.2 miles away); Main Street Methodist Church (approx. 12Ĺ miles away).
 
Regarding Fordís Mill & Pageís Mill / Lake View. The passenger railroad station originally built by the Raleigh & Charleston Air Line Railroad here still stands. It was last used as a hardware store. The railroad later became the Seaboard Air Line Railway, then Atlantic Coast Line Railroad and is now CSX Transportation.
 
Lake View Face of Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, February 17, 2010
2. Lake View Face of Marker
Fordís Mill & Pageís Mill / Lake View Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, February 17, 2010
3. Fordís Mill & Pageís Mill / Lake View Marker
Pageís Mill image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, February 17, 2010
4. Pageís Mill
Page's Mill Pond (Lake) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, February 17, 2010
5. Page's Mill Pond (Lake)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 24, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,278 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 24, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the railroad station and of the town. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27945

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024