Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Piedmont in Calhoun County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, July 19, 2009
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  The First Presbyterian Church of Piedmont was organized March 18, 1890, with seventeen charter members, by Rev. B. F. Bedinger, Presbyterian evangelist. Rev. J. E. McLean was the first minister. First elders were C. W. McMahon and Stephen Ferguson; first deacons were John Turk and William Turk. A frame building was erected west of South Main Street, which the congregation occupied June 21, 1891. Rev W. J. Sinnott, the congregation's second minister and Supt. of the Presbyterian Orphanage in Talladega, preached the first sermon in the new building. Because the location was inconvenient, plans were made in 1899 to roll the church on logs to this site. Until the Panic of 1893 interrupted industrial growth in Piedmont, the church attracted members from other Alabama churches and from Delaware, Maine, New Jersey, North Carolina and Tennessee. In 1947 a committee was selected to supervise construction of a brick addition for Sunday School rooms. The original frame sanctuary was brick veneered and the interior remodeled in the summer of 1952. In 1987 the interior was again refurbished. This is the oldest church structure in Piedmont.

This
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker was given in Loving Memory of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew John Taylor by their son, Dr. Rayford Boles Taylor, A.D. 1990.
 
Erected 1990.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 18, 1865.
 
Location. 33° 55.401′ N, 85° 36.635′ W. Marker is in Piedmont, Alabama, in Calhoun County. Marker is on East Ladiga Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 East Ladiga Street, Piedmont AL 36272, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cross Plains - Piedmont (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alabama Tennessee River Railroad (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Piedmont First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ladiga Cavalry Skirmish (approx. 3.2 miles away); Carmel Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Cherokee County's Paul Revere (approx. 4 miles away); Spring Garden (approx. 4.7 miles away); Spring Garden School (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Piedmont.
 
First Presbyterian Church & Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, July 19, 2009
2. First Presbyterian Church & Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,244 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=27993

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024