Miller Grove in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Miller Grove School
Paving of the road to Cumby and acquisition of school buses resulted in community and school growth. Surrounding schools at Greenview, Center Point, Cedar Point, Palestine, County Line, Bonanza, Divide, Cross Roads, and Simmons Chapel consolidated with Miller Grove from the 1920s to 1950s. After the schoolhouse burned in 1938, a new brick building was completed in time to start the 1939-40 school year. This school and a gymnasium both burned a few years after completion and were rebuilt. At one time, all Hopkins County schools celebrated an end of year stew and community picnic; today, only Miller Grove continues this tradition. During World War II, members of the defense training shop rebuilt an army barracks which served as the cafeteria until 1994. A new elementary school, high school and gymnasium were added to the campus by 2003. For generations, the Miller Grove community has gathered at the school for education, activities and fellowship.
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17016.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is August 1860.
Location. 33° 1.339′ N, 95° 48.13′ W. Marker is in Miller Grove, Texas, in Hopkins County. It is on Farm to Market Road 275 near County Road 1567, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located along the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7819 FM 275 South, Cumby TX 75433, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South and in the Piney Woods. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Republic of Texas, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Miller Grove Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller Grove Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Miller Grove Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); County Line School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Long Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Dougherty Community Homeplace (approx. 5.9 miles away); Dougherty Community Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Sunny Point Cemetery (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miller Grove.
Also see . . . History and Development of Miller Grove, Texas. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
Miller Grove, at the junction of Farm roads 1567 and 275, fourteen miles southwest of Sulphur Springs in southwestern Hopkins County, was probably first settled sometime in the late 1840s. Members of a family named Miller, for whom the community is named, were among the earliest residents. A Presbyterian church is said to have been organized there in 1848. A post office was established around 1869 with J. J. Hill as postmaster. By 1885 Miller Grove had a steam grist and saw mill, a district school, three churches, and a population of thirty.(Submitted on July 30, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2025. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 30, 2025, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.


