Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rabun Gap in Rabun County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Rabun Gap – Nacoochee School

Andrew Jackson Ritchie, 1868 – 1948, Founder

 
 
Rabun Gap – Nacoochee School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, February 22, 2010
1. Rabun Gap – Nacoochee School Marker
Inscription.  One of Rabun County’s first college graduates, Andrew Jackson Ritchie received his B.A. and M.A. degrees from Harvard University before returning to his native county to devote his life to the education of the mountain people.

In 1903 he founded the Rabun Gap Industrial School and in 1917 originated the “Farm Plan,” by which entire families work their way through school. The school operated independently until 1926, when it merged with the Nacoochee Institute, a school owned and supported by the Presbyterian Synod of Georgia. Under Dr. Ritchie’s presidency, the new school, chartered in 1927 and named Rabun Gap-Nacoochee, acquired more land, larger dormitories and classrooms, and began new educational programs.

Dr. Ritchie, whose unique approach to education has attracted strong financial support, served as President of the school until his retirement in 1939. In 1948, the year of his death, his “Sketches of Rabun County History” was published.

Dr. Ritchie, educator, scholar, and historian, is buried on the hill overlooking this school which his complete devotion created.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1967 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 119-3.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicEducation. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
 
Location. 34° 57.793′ N, 83° 23.318′ W. Marker is in Rabun Gap, Georgia, in Rabun County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 441) and Nacoochee Drive on Main Street. The marker stands at the entrance to the school on US 441. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rabun Gap GA 30568, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brig·Gen·Francis·S·Bartow·C·S·A· (approx. 0.4 miles away); Memorial Lands and Cottages (approx. 0.7 miles away); York House Inn (approx. 1.8 miles away); Cherokee Defeat (approx. 3.8 miles away in North Carolina); Cherokee Victory (approx. 5½ miles away in North Carolina); The Rabun County Courthouse (approx. 5.9 miles away); Rabun County Service Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Rabun County War Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rabun Gap.
 
Regarding Rabun Gap – Nacoochee School. Foxfire Magazine, later a series of books and a movie about life in the mountains of North Georgia,
Rabun Gap – Nacoochee School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, February 22, 2010
2. Rabun Gap – Nacoochee School Marker
The school is on the hill beyond the marker.
originated at the Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School in 1967.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School. The Wikipedia entry for the school. (Submitted on February 28, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Rabun Gap – Nacoochee School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, February 22, 2010
3. Rabun Gap – Nacoochee School Marker
Looking north on US 441 toward Dillard
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,228 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28008

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024