Douglas in Converse County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Douglas World War II POW Camp
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
Location. 42° 45.538′ N, 105° 24.363′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Wyoming, in Converse County. It is on South Riverbend Drive (Wyoming Route 94) south of Carver Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 S Riverbend Drive, Douglas WY 82633, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Wyoming’s Westward Expansion Trails Region and in the Powder River Basin. It is also in the American Mountain West, on the Great Plains, and specifically on the High Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Discover Historic Fort Fetterman (approx. 0.8 miles away); Camp Douglas (approx. 0.8 miles away); John Hunton (approx. 0.8 miles away); Douglas (approx. 0.9 miles away);
Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive #5633 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad (CB&Q) Wooden Caboose (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chicago & Northwestern Railway (C&NW) Steel Sheathed Wooden Day Coach (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad Passenger Depot (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
More about this marker. The building is now the POW Camp Douglas Officers' Club State Historic Site. The highlight of the site is murals painted Italian POWs at the Officer's Club.
Also see . . . Camp Douglas POW Officer's Club.
During World War II, Douglas had the primary prisoner of war (POW) camp for Wyoming. All other POW camps in Wyoming were satellite sites of Douglas. The camp was over a square mile in size, comprised of 180 buildings, which housed up to 2,000 Italian and 3,000 German POWs and 500 army personnel from the spring of 1943 to the winter of 1946. At the time, the camp was larger than the town of Douglas. The only building standing today is the Officers Club, which is now the Camp Douglas Officers' Club State Historic Site.(Submitted on August 2, 2025, by Mark Parker of Hickory, North Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2025. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2025, by Mark Parker of Hickory, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2025, by Mark Parker of Hickory, North Carolina. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.


