Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blackville in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Macedonia Baptist Church

 
 
Macedonia Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Macedonia Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  
[Front text]:
This church, the first African-American Baptist church in Barnwell County, was founded in 1866 when Rev. James T. Tolbert preached in Blackville under a brush arbor; the first sanctuary was built in 1868. The church hosted the first state convention of black Baptists, held here in 1875, and built its second sanctuary by 1887. The present sanctuary was built here in 1976.

[Reverse text]:
This is the mother church of eight churches founded 1867-1922: Ebenezer, Frost Branch, Pilgrim Rest, St. Peter, Sunshine, Tabernacle, Shrub Branch, and Central. Macedonia Baptist Association, which promoted the education of area blacks, opened Macedonia School nearby in 1890. Macedonia High School was built here in 1954 and taught grades 1-12 until 1970, when it became Macedonia Middle School.
 
Erected 2002 by The Barnwell County Museum and Historical Board. (Marker Number 06-16.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. 33° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
21.222′ N, 81° 16.44′ W. Marker is in Blackville, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is on Dexter Street (State Highway 78), on the right when traveling west. Located between Walker Street and Hampton Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3572 Dexter Street, Blackville SC 29817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blackville : Town Of The Phoenix / Battle of Blackville, 1865 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Solomon Blatt, Sr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blackville (approx. ¼ mile away); Barnwell County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Solomon Blatt Highway (approx. 2.3 miles away); Healing Springs (approx. 2.6 miles away); God’s Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named God’s Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named God’s Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hilda (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackville.
 
Macedonia Baptist Church Marker, reverse side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 13, 2010
2. Macedonia Baptist Church Marker, reverse side
Macedonia Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 13, 2010
3. Macedonia Baptist Church
Macedonia Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, February 13, 2010
4. Macedonia Baptist Church Marker
Macedonia Baptist Church Marker (Front) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 22, 2016
5. Macedonia Baptist Church Marker (Front)
Macedonia Baptist Church Marker (Reverse) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 22, 2016
6. Macedonia Baptist Church Marker (Reverse)
Macedonia Baptist Church Marker (Front) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 22, 2016
7. Macedonia Baptist Church Marker (Front)
Macedonia Baptist Church Marker (Reverse) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 22, 2016
8. Macedonia Baptist Church Marker (Reverse)
Macedonia Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, March 22, 2016
9. Macedonia Baptist Church
Founder - The Reverend
James Tolbert
Pastor - The Reverend
A.A. Bush
Asst. Pastor - The Reverend
Sylvester Smalls
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,299 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 13, 2016, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28080

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024