Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lakeland in Lanier County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Union Baptist Church

←1/2 mi.—«

 
 
Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 10, 2005
1. Union Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Union Baptist Church, on the Alapaha River one-half mile West on this road, was constituted October 21, 1825, the first church in the old area of Irwin County.

The original members were: William A. Knight, his wife, Sarah; Jonathan Knight, his wife, Elizabeth; Joshua Lee, his wife, Martha; James Patten, his wife, Elizabeth; Mary Knight; Josiah Sirmans, deacon.

The Rev. Matthew Albritton served the church as its first minister.
 
Erected 2000 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 086-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 21, 1825.
 
Location. 31° 1.589′ N, 83° 3.963′ W. Marker is in Lakeland, Georgia, in Lanier County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street and Burnt Church Road (Route 135), on the left when traveling south on College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeland GA 31635, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
as the crow flies. Union Church Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Burnt Church (approx. one mile away); The Milltown Air Line Locomotive (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Hotel Milltown (approx. 1.1 miles away); M. E. Johnson (approx. 1.1 miles away); Oaklawn Baptist Academy (approx. 1.1 miles away); Stapleton's Grocery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lanier County (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lakeland.
 
Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
2. Union Baptist Church Marker
Looking north to Lakeland on Georgia Highway 135
Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
3. Union Baptist Church Marker
Looking north to Lakeland on Georgia Highway 135
Union Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
4. Union Baptist Church Marker
Looking east on Burnt Church Road toward the site of Union Baptist Church (later the Burnt Church) and the Union Church Cemetery
Union Baptist Church -- the "Burnt Church" image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
5. Union Baptist Church -- the "Burnt Church"
Union Baptist Church, first known as Carter's Meeting House, burned in 1854. It was immediately rebuilt and known thereafter as the Burnt Church. It was restored in April 1998.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,610 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on December 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on February 12, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28123

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2024