Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pagosa Springs in Archuleta County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Goodman Building

Historic Landmark

 
 
Goodman Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2025
1. Goodman Building Marker
Inscription.
This building, constructed in the late 1890s, houses Pagosa Springs' oldest business. David Lowenstein, the original proprietor, arrived in the San Juans in 1876. He and his wife, Fanny, reached Pagosa Springs on the first train in October of 1900. The clothing business they opened that year is operated by their direct descendants more than a century later.
 
Erected 2002 by Pagosa Springs Historic Preservation Board.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1900.
 
Location. 37° 16.062′ N, 107° 0.611′ W. Marker is in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, in Archuleta County. It is on Pagosa Street (U.S. 160) just west of North 4th Street, on the right when traveling west. The marker is mounted at eye-level on the front facade of the subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 Pagosa Street, Pagosa Springs CO 81147, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is on Colorado’s Continental Divide. It is also in the American Mountain West and at the Four
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
Corners. Globally, it is in North America, the Rocky Mountains, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere.

Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Liberty Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Metropolitan Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Hatcher Hardware (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pagosa Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Pagosa Springs (approx. 5.9 miles away); Chimney Rock (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Old Spanish Trail (approx. 5.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Goodman's Department Store (Goodmans1899.com).
Excerpt:  Here in 1899 David Lowenstein purchased a little store that was 12½ X 35 feet and sold “Gent’s Furnishings,” and called it Lowenstein’s Gent’s Furnishings. David’s daughter Hortense and her husband Louis Goodman decided to enlarge the store in 1929. They hired gentlemen by the name of Axel Nelson to construct the new building out of solid concrete. They chose this material because there had been a lot of fires around that time
Goodman Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2025
2. Goodman Building Marker
The marker is mounted on the left side of the storefront entrance.
that wiped out several other businesses in the area. The concrete was 16 inches thick with barbed wire reinforcement and was built over the old store building. The construction would be fire resistant along all sides of the store, leaving only the roof vulnerable to the fires. During the construction of the new building, the store remained open having to constantly move the merchandise around to accommodate the contractor. After the finishing of the new building the old building was dismantled and carried out the front door piece by piece.

Dave Goodman, son of Louis and Hortense, was born in 1923. After serving in the Philippine Islands and Japan during World War II, Dave decided to join the family business in 1946. Dave remained true to the family tradition and worked daily to improve the store and expand the lines offered to their customers. Along with the expansion of the lines Goodman’s carried they moved more into the western field. Goodman’s became one of boot maker, Tony Lama’s first clients selling the many varieties of boots they had to offer.

Business was thriving for Goodman’s and the need for expanded space to allow Goodman’s to carry more merchandise was necessary. An addition to the store was built behind the store in 1957. Still, more space was needed so the Goodman’s built another building adjacent to their location. Hortense became known as “Granny Goodman” and worked for 66 years in the family’s store.

Dave and Dorothy’s 2nd son of 3 children, Robert Goodman, came into the family business after his graduation from the University of Northern Colorado in 1977. He formally took over management from Dave and Dorothy in 1981.

Bob married Valerie Tucker in 1982 who came to Pagosa to work in the summers. Their daughter Hayley, decided to step into the role as is the new sole proprietor of Goodman's at the age of 23. She graduated from Colorado State University in 2012 and formally took over ownership in 2013.

(Submitted on August 18, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Goodman’s Store Carries on 100 Years of Tradition (Pagosa.com).
Goodman's Storefront image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2025
3. Goodman's Storefront
(by Norm Vance)  Excerpt:  Goodman’s Department Store sits in downtown Pagosa Springs. It has been there for over 100 years and is closely identified with Pagosa Springs as no other business is. It is the longest single-family owned and operated business in town.

The merchandise was that of a well-stocked western store. When it was remodeled in 1995, it took on a big change. Some now call it the Neimann Marcus of Pagosa Springs. The antique metal-embossed ceiling in the main store is the original one, as is the 3-way mirror at the back of the store.

(Submitted on August 18, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Goodman's Entrance & Tile image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2025
4. Goodman's Entrance & Tile
Goodman Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Cosmos Mariner, July 13, 2025
5. Goodman Building
Pagosa Street (US 160) & 4th Street intersection reconstruction is in progress at the time of this photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2025. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 101 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 17, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   4, 5. submitted on August 18, 2025, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.
m=281892

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 18, 2026