Cuney in Cherokee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1916 former Palestine banker H.L. Price moved to the community. Encouraged by the area's potential as a commercial and agricultural center for blacks, he directed formation of the Andy Real Estate Company. He was joined in the operation by his son Cuney Price, W.D. Thomas, J.Z. Thomas, W.A. Hall, and John Bragg. The firm renamed the town Cuney for Price's son, who was named for the prominent black business and state political leader Norris Wright Cuney.
Statewide promotion of the town resulted in rapid growth for Cuney, which soon included churches, stores, gins, sawmills, a railroad station, a hotel and a baseball team. Nelson Sneed donated land for the establishment of community schools.
Cuney declined after World War I as agricultural prices decreased and area residents moved to other towns for work. Today it serves as a reminder of the area's pioneers and the significant
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6636.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 32° 1.866′ N, 95° 24.993′ W. Marker is in Cuney, Texas, in Cherokee County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 175 and Farm to Market Road 3327, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 175. Located near Post Office. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuney TX 75759, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Kickapoo Battlefield (approx. 4.3 miles away); Frankston Railroad Depot (approx. 5.4 miles away); Frankston City Park (approx. 5.4 miles away); Old Neches Saline Road (approx. 6.6 miles away); Earle's Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); Earle's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away); Love's Lookout (approx. 8.1 miles away); Dewberry Plantation House (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Also see . . . Cuney - The Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on March 10, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,080 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.