Near Delmar in Saluda County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hare’s Mill, which stood here on Cloud’s Creek, was a large grist mill owned by James Hare (1838-1929). Hare bought the mill from the Rinehart family in 1885 and moved it here. The two-story mill ground both corn and wheat, using water power to grind corn and steam power to grind wheat. It was also an important meeting place for this community over many years.
James and Elizabeth Black Hare had nine sons: John Allen, Samuel Jacob, Noah Ephram, Butler Black, Joseph William, Henry Benjamin, Jemmie Lee, George Tillman, and Sidney Bowles. They helped their father run Hare’s Mill until it closed in 1928, when S.C. Electric and Gas Company bought land on Cloud’s Creek before building Lake Murray. The mill was demolished soon afterwards.
Erected 2006 by Saluda County Historical Society. (Marker Number 41-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina, Saluda County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Batesburg SC 29006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Delmar School (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Delmar School (approx. 2.9 miles away); Flat Grove (approx. 7.9 miles away); Mitchell Hill Advent Christian Chruch (approx. 8.2 miles away); Butler Family Graves (approx. 8.6 miles away); Hartley House (approx. 9.2 miles away); Lee's Tavern Site (approx. 9.2 miles away); Butler Methodist Church (approx. 9.3 miles away); Cane Break (approx. 10.2 miles away); New Chapel Church (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,163 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 6, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.