Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Johnston in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lott's Tavern & Post Office

 
 
Lott's Tavern & Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cindy Bullard, March 5, 2010
1. Lott's Tavern & Post Office Marker
Inscription.  A house built for Emsley Lott about 1770, later Lott's Tavern and still later Lott's Post Office, stood here until it was demolished in 1918. Lott soon enlarged his one-room log house to become a tavern on the Columbia road. In 1839 his son John built a front room on the tavern and became the first postmaster of Lott's Post Office, the first post office in present-day Johnston.
 
Erected 2001 by Ridge Heritage Association. (Marker Number 19-14.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Postal Mail and Philately series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1770.
 
Location. 33° 50.616′ N, 81° 47.204′ W. Marker is in Johnston, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is at the intersection of Calhoun St. (State Highway 23) and Monument Drive, on the right when traveling east on Calhoun St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnston SC 29832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Johnston Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); William Johnston (approx. 1.1 miles away); Johnston (approx. 1.2 miles away); Johnston Civil War Monument (approx. 1.2 miles away); Johnston Schools / Johnston Educators (approx. 1.2 miles away); Edwards Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); Spann Methodist Church / Captain Clinton Ward (approx. 3˝ miles away); Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnston.
 
George Washington Rested Here (and drank??) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cindy Bullard, March 5, 2010
2. George Washington Rested Here (and drank??)
This marker is located across the street from Lott's Tavern & Post Office Marker. Inscription: George Washington Rested Here on Southern Tour 1785. This marker was erected by Emily Geiger Chapter D.A.R. Johnston, S.C. 1932-1933.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,583 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 6, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28225

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024