Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Perrysburg in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons

 
 
Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, March 5, 2010
1. Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons
View of the front side of the marker.
Inscription.  [Front Side of Marker]: "Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons"

Settlers and soldiers moving west brought with them familiar institutions such as the Masonic Lodge. Here at Camp Meigs, military officers were authorized by Ohio Militia Captain Henry Brush, Ohio Masonic Grand Master, to establish the first lodge in Northwest Ohio on September 13, 1813. Colonel William Anderson was Master, Lt. Col. William McMillan, Senior Warden, and Capt. Charles Gratiot, Junior Warden. Built under the command of Gen. William Henry Harrison, the fort was named for Ohio Governor, Return Jonathan Meigs.

[Reverse Side of Marker]: "Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons"

Garrisoned by less than 2,400 regulars and militia, Fort Meigs withstood two sieges by combined British and Indian forces, and played an important role in the northwestern campaigns of the War of 1812. Lt. Almon Gibbs commanded the final 40-man detachment which lowered the flag and retired the colors in 1815. He later served as the first Master of Norther Light Lodge No. 40 Free and Accepted Masons, founded March 5, 1817 in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
"Waynesfield" (now Maumee) and as the village's first postmaster and Justice of the Peace. [Masonic Symbol]
 
Erected 1992 by Northern Light Lodge No. 40 Free and Accepted Masons and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-87.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryWar of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is March 5, 1837.
 
Location. 41° 33.005′ N, 83° 39.09′ W. Marker is in Perrysburg, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is on West Indiana Avenue (Ohio Route 65) 0.1 miles east of Fort Meigs Road. This historical marker is located in the parking area of the Fort Meigs, State Historic Park. In fact, it is situated in the center of the traffic island that serves to divide traffic to either the left or the right at the main entrance to the park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 902 West Indiana Avenue, Perrysburg OH 43551, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amos Spafford / Perrysburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 17th Infantry Regiment (about 400 feet away); Kentucky Soldiers Monument (about 600 feet away); Pennsylvania Soldiers Monument
Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, March 5, 2010
2. Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons
View of the reverse side of the marker.
(about 600 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 1 (about 600 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 2 (about 600 feet away); Fort Meigs / Introduction 3 (about 600 feet away); Stockade (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perrysburg.
 
Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, March 5, 2010
3. Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons
View of the historical marker in the foreground with the walls of the restored Fort Meigs in the distant background.
Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Doda, September 12, 2020
4. Army Lodge No. 24 Free and Accepted Masons Marker
The marker behind the main marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 961 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   4. submitted on January 29, 2021, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28346

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024