Albion in Calhoun County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Presbyterian Church
In February 1837 the Reverend Calvin Clark, a circuit riding pastor sent by the American Home Missionary Society, met with twenty-four persons and organized the Albion Presbyterian Church. The first church was built in 1840 on the corner of Clinton and Erie streets. In 1857 the congregation erected a new church on this site; it burned in 1873. The third church, completed in 1879, also burned, and the present one was built in 1884.
The First Presbyterian Church, built on this site in 1858, burned in February 1873. Detroit architect Elijah E. Myers was immediately commissioned to plan a new church, which was completed in 1879. (Myers also designed Michigan's present state capitol.) In 1883 fire again ravaged the church. The Romanesque Revival building's shell and two stained-glass windows were saved and incorporated into the present church, which was dedicated on August 10, 1884.
Erected 1992 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number 1695.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & ReligionMichigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1837.
Location. 42° 14.633′ N, 84° 44.996′ W. Marker is in Albion, Michigan, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of East Porter Street and South Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west on East Porter Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albion MI 49224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mother's Day In Albion / Mother's Day (about 600 feet away); Gardner House Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Observatory (approx. 0.3 miles away); Birthplace of Famed Song (approx. 0.3 miles away); Albion College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Birthplace of "Old Rugged Cross" (approx. half a mile away); Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albion.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2010. This page has been viewed 695 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 8, 2010. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.