Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Grand Rapids in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Providence Historical District

 
 
Providence Historical District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, March 6, 2010
1. Providence Historical District Marker
Inscription.  The town of Providence was born, thrived and died with the Miami & Erie Canal. It was platted in 1835 by French trader Peter Manor, swept by fire in 1846, ravaged by cholera in 1854, and finally unincorporated in 1928. Today, only the Irish builders' St. Patrick's Church (1845), the oldest in the Toledo Diocese; the cemetery; and Peter Manor's house (1845) remain. The Providence Dam, built in 1838 to create a water supply for the canal's remaining 25 miles to Toledo, was rebuilt in 1908. Peter Manor's mill stands downstream one-half mile at Canal Lock #9, where it was built in 1822, rebuilt in 1846, and operates today as the Isaac Ludwig Historic Mill. The National Historic Register of Historic Places listed this district in 1975, the mill in 1974.
 
Erected 1980 by Grand Rapids Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-87.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it
Providence Historical District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, March 6, 2010
2. Providence Historical District Marker
View of historical marker in the front yard of St. Patrick's Church.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Miami & Erie Canal series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 41° 25.098′ N, 83° 52.384′ W. Marker is near Grand Rapids, Ohio, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of River Road (U.S. 24) and Providence Neapolis Swanton Road, on the right when traveling west on River Road. This historical marker is located in the front yard of St. Patrick's Church and across the street from Peter Manor's house (1845). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14010, Grand Rapids OH 43522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Patrick Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The 150th Anniversary of the Great Starvation (about 400 feet away); Tempers Explode As Dams Get Built (approx. 0.2 miles away); Water's Way: Flood And Ice (approx. 0.2 miles away); Foundations From The Past (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Rapids Town Hall (approx. half a mile away); A Lasting Legacy (approx. half a mile away); Thurston Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Rapids.
 
Providence Historical District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, March 6, 2010
3. Providence Historical District Marker
View looking northeast of the historical marker in the left foreground and to the right of River Road (US 24) heading towards Waterville, Maumee, and Toledo.
Providence Historical District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, March 6, 2010
4. Providence Historical District Marker
View looking across the street (River Road) from the historical marker at the Peter Manor house, which is situated on the high ridge overlooking the Maumee River.
Providence Dam image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, March 6, 2010
5. Providence Dam
View of the nearby Providence Dam that was built to supply the canal with the water needed for its operations from Providence all the way to the end of the line in Toledo.
Providence Dam image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, March 6, 2010
6. Providence Dam
View of the name of the contractor, John Weckerly, written in the dam's cement 1908 renovation, on the west side of the Maumee River.
Providence Dam image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, March 6, 2010
7. Providence Dam
View from the western bank of the Maumee River of the Providence Dam that was originally built in 1838 as part of the canal system.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,116 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 9, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.   5, 6, 7. submitted on May 2, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28397

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2021