Port Dalhousie in St. Catharines in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
12 Lock Street, Port Dalhousie
History InSite
STCM 1920-N
James Stanton, postmaster from 1895-1925, opened this store on Lock Street in 1896. Stanton's Fine Groceries housed the post office and quickly became an important hub of commercial and social activity in the village.
Aside from groceries and the post office, ice cream was also a staple in Stanton's store. The store was described in The Standard in 1905 as "well stocked with the finest lines of fancy and staple goods, canned stuffs in glass and tin, table delicacies and family supplies. In connection are finely furnished ice cream parlors, where the purest fruit flavours in this delicious dainty are served in an attractive manner." Getting an ice cream in Port Dalhousie is a long-standing tradition that continues today.
The Stanton family owned the building until 1973.
History InSite is presented by the St. Catharines Museum & Welland Canals Centre.
Erected by St. Catharines Museum and Welland Canals Centre.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 43° 12.13′ N, 79° 15.982′ W. Marker is in St. Catharines, Ontario, in Niagara Region. It is in Port Dalhousie. It is at the intersection of Lock Street and Canal Street, on the right when traveling south on Lock Street. The marker is mounted on a "no parking" sign-post in front of the Budapest Bake Shop, on the north-west side of Lock St, directly across from 12 Lock St. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15 Lock Street, St Catharines ON L2N 5B6, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is on Ontario’s Golden Horseshoe and in Niagara Canada. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Sterling Bank of Canada 1907 (here, next to this marker); Wellington House 1877
(a few steps from this marker); Murphy & Scott Ship Chandler 1885 (within shouting distance of this marker); Murphy's Ship Chandlery circa 1885 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lock One of the Second Welland Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Dalhousie Jail circa 1845 (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Barnesdale Streetcar Stop 1908 (about 90 meters away); The Pull (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Catharines.
Regarding 12 Lock Street, Port Dalhousie. James Stanton built this 2-storey store in 1896. Stanton's Fine Groceries operated here for decades, as a combination post-office and store. It sold "fancy and staple goods, canned stuffs, and family supplies", and had an ice-cream parlour. The post-office function went away in 1962. After 1973, it has been a craft shop, then a restaurant. It is currently the sales office for a real-estate project.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2026. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2025, by Kevin Westell of St. Catharines, Ontario. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2025, by Kevin Westell of St. Catharines, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

