Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belk in Fayette County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Town of Belk
⎯⎯⎯
Belk Community Center Park

 
 
Town of Belk Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Jimmy Emerson
1. Town of Belk Marker
Inscription. Belk was known as Beebe in the 19th century. Later, the name was changed to Mulberry Tank for the water tank located on the first railroad. It served the steam engine trains as a regular stop until 1933. The name Belk was established in 1904 due to the large number of residents named Belk. Catfish Price manufactured two syrups in the 1920s and 30s, Price's Famous Pride & Golden Eagle near the railroad. One of the first businesses in Belk was a water mill which ground meal and flour. A gin and grist mill replaced the water mill. Belk was incorporated in 1968. Its water system was built in the early 1970s along with a volunteer fire department. Today, Belk purchases water from Fayette Water System. Belk has three industries: Georgia Pacific, Lumber Remanufacturing, and Newman Trucking. Presently, more than 300 employees work at these industries. Belk's current population is 214.
Belk'S Mayors
Berta Smith (1968-70), Ronald Waldrop (1970-76) (1999-Present),
Bill Beasley (1976-78), Dalton Gilpin (1978-92)
and Mike Ellison (1992-99)

Reverse Side
The Belk Community Center Park originally was the site of
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
the Belk Junior High School (grades 1-9) until 1967. The property was given to the Town of Belk in 1968 when it incorporated. A softball field with a concession stand was built in the early 1970s. Later in the 1980s and 1990s, the softball field was replaced with a circular walkway, playground equipment, and a pavilion. A community center featuring a kitchen, auditorium, and fitness center was constructed in 2004 replacing the old Junior High School. In 2005, an underground storm shelter was constructed. In 2006 and early 2007, 28 RV hookups were built in the park. The Belk Bluegrass Festival was started in April 2007. Patrons from seven states attended the event. In 2008 volunteer workers constructed an outdoor stage overlooking the park; with walkway ramps, and stair steps leading to the park's focal points.
 
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Belk.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Tourism Department series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
 
Location. 33° 38.442′ N,
Town of Belk Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Jimmy Emerson, 2010
2. Town of Belk Marker
87° 55.978′ W. Marker is in Belk, Alabama, in Fayette County. It is on State Highway 96 south of State Highway 6, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7941 AL-96, Belk AL 35545, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the American South and specifically in the Deep South. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: History of Fayette (approx. 6.6 miles away); Roxy Theatre/ Fayette's Newspapers (approx. 6.6 miles away); In Memory of the Patriots of the American Revolution (approx. 6.6 miles away); Fayette World War II Memorial (approx. 6.6 miles away); United Daughters of the Confederacy Memorial (approx. 6.6 miles away); In Memory of the Soldiers of the Southern Confederacy
Paid Advertisement
(approx. 6.6 miles away); Shady Grove Missionary Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away); Freeman Lake (approx. 9.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2025. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2025, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2025, by Jimmy Emerson of Dalton, Georgia. • James Hulse was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?
m=285017

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 2, 2026