Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, May 2, 2009
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  First Presbyterian Church was organized March 2, 1893. The church was made up of 17 members at the home of Robert Clinton Sandlin, who was installed as the First Ruling Elder. The church constructed their 1st building on this site in 1895. The church was the only building in the business district not destroyed by the fire on Friday, June 13, 1902.

The postmaster used the church’s basement for his office until the new Post Office was rebuilt. In the mid-1990s, the building was renovated by the law firm of Morris, Haynes, and Hornsby.
 
Erected 2000 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionCommunicationsDisasters. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 2, 1913.
 
Location. 32° 56.614′ N, 85° 57.196′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Tallapoosa Street, on the right when traveling east
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Main Street, Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alexander City: A Textile Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Court Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Youngsville (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church 1872 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Needmore 1873 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Socopatoy (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexander City.
 
First Presbyterian Church / Law Firm of Morris, Haynes, and Hornsby. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Carr, May 2, 2009
2. First Presbyterian Church / Law Firm of Morris, Haynes, and Hornsby.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 959 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 12, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28548

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024