Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The First Baptist Church
On August 3, 1872 eleven men and women guided by Rev. A. K. Tribble met under the bush arbor and organized the Youngsville Baptist Church. J. T. P. Christian and B. B. Reams were elected deacons and T. S. Christian, Sr. was elected clerk. Following the town’s name change the next year, the church became the Alexander City Baptist Church. Sunday services were held once a month until 1879.
On this site in 1877 the congregation erected its first house-of-worship, a wood-frame structure valued at $1000. The church erected new sanctuaries on this site in 1906 and in 1967.
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 32° 56.599′ N, 85° 57.242′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Square and Church Street, on the right when traveling south on Court Square. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 64 Court Square, Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alexander City: A Textile Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Court Square (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Youngsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church 1872 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Needmore 1873 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Socopatoy (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexander City.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 998 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 12, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.