Germantown in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Germantown Covered Bridge
Restored in 1963, the Germantown Covered Bridge on East Center Street, spanning Little Twin Creek, was 93 years old and is reputed to be the only existing covered bridge of its kind in the world. For 41 years this unique inverted bow string truss covered bridge spanned Little Twin Creek on the Dayton Pike in Germantown, Ohio. In 1911 it was removed to its present location where it has been restored and beautified as a link with Ohio's early history. It is a symbol of individual initiative in America's pioneer days.
This cherished old landmark, the Germantown Covered Bridge, was erected in 1870. In 1963 the bridge became dangerous and was closed to traffic and it was then the people of Germantown chose to preserve it as a landmark. A committee of twelve civic leaders was officially appointed by Mayor Ross Brewer, and the work started. Miami Valley business firms offered their services, evaluating the bridge as a genuine historic landmark and the work was completed without assistance from the village budget. The bridge symbolizes respect for American heritage and tradition.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges 🌉, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1963.
Location. 39° 37.571′ N, 84° 21.917′ W. Marker is in Germantown, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and Water Street, on the right when traveling east on Center Street. The bridge spans Little Twin Creek about 500 feet north of the Market Street (Ohio Route 725) bridge over the creek. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Germantown OH 45327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village of Germantown (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shuey Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Germantown Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Jasper Road Bridge (approx. 1.4 miles away); Kern Cabin (approx. 1.4 miles away); Germantown Dam (approx. 2.1 miles away); Heritage Village (approx. 4 miles away); Miamisburg in the Great Flood of 1913 (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Germantown.
Also see . . . Germantown Covered Bridge. (Submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,205 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.