Tuscumbia in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Baptist Church
The entrance was moved from the belfry to the center and a third balcony added in 1954. The stained glass Gothic windows were imported from Czechoslovakia about 1906. The original pipes for the early Moller organ are still visible from the cross-shaped sanctuary and heard in worship today.
The Educational Building (north) was built in 1962 and the Fellowship Hall (south) in 1974. The church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by First Baptist Church, Tuscumbia, Al and The Colbert County Historical Landmark Foundation Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1823.
Location. 34° 44.009′ N, 87° 42.128′ W. Marker is in Tuscumbia, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is on N. Dickson St.. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 North Dickson Street, Tuscumbia AL 35674, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colbert County Courthouse Square District (about 400 feet away); Howell Thomas Heflin (about 400 feet away); Colbert County Confederate Memorial (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Colbert County World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away); Colbert County Gulf War Memorial (about 600 feet away); The Purple Heart / Military Order of the Purple Heart (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscumbia.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church of Tuscumbia, Alabama. First Baptist Church of Tuscumbia, Alabama/site (Submitted on March 13, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,516 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 13, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.