Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Hanover County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Wilmington Light Infantry

Armory Building

 
 
Wilmington Light Infantry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 11, 2010
1. Wilmington Light Infantry Marker
Inscription.  This plaque is presented to the Wilmington Light Infantry which served with distinction in:

The Civil War, The Spanish-American War, World War I and World War II.

This plaque is to be prominently displayed on the Washington Light Infantry Armory Building in perpetual memory of this historic military organization.

Deeded to the City of Wilmington the 17th day of September 1951 by Wilmington Light Infantry Reserve Corps
 
Erected 1951 by Wilmington Light Infantry Reserve Corps.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, US CivilWar, World IWar, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1951.
 
Location. 34° 14.156′ N, 77° 56.65′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, North Carolina, in New Hanover County. Marker can be reached from Market Street (U.S. 17) 0.1 miles west of North 5th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington NC 28401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic First Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); Wilmington Coup
John A. Taylor House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 11, 2010
2. John A. Taylor House
c.1847
Benjamin Gardner, architect
Greek revival style house built for John A. Taylor (1798-1873), native of New York, shipping and railroad industrialist, civic leader; and wife, Catherine M. Harriss (1806-177). From 1893 to 1951, building served as an armory for the Wilmington Light Infantry. The WLI gave it to the City of Wilmington for use as a public library. The library occupied the building from 1956 to 1981. Historic Wilmington Foundation, Inc.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Temple of Israel (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Godfrey (within shouting distance of this marker); Leora Hiatt McEachern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William B. Gould (about 300 feet away); Beery’s Shipyard (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
Wilmington Light Infantry Armory Building image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 11, 2010
3. Wilmington Light Infantry Armory Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,497 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28644

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021