Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Falls Church, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Presbyterian Church

 
 
Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Clifford, April 2, 2009
1. Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1846 Presbyterians first met in private homes. In 1854, Dr. Simon J. Groot bought 11 acres for $179 (part of 1729 246-acre Trammell grant); Built two-story Groot Hall in 1856; Used for Sunday services, private school, community groups, town hall, and Union army hospital. Presbyterians bought hall in 1866; Used until torn down in 1925. East of Groot Hall, Gothic style church with steepled bell tower was built in 1884 from local granite; It was the town's first stone building. At least half of the original church still faces Fairfax Street; Remodeled in 1890s and 1968. Added Sunday school in 1926; Enlarged sanctuary in 1954.
 
Erected by City of Falls Church.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, City of Falls Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
 
Location. 38° 52.824′ N, 77° 10.084′ W. Marker is in Falls Church, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Broad Street (State Highway 7) and North Fairfax Street on East Broad
Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 12, 2007
2. Presbyterian Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 East Broad Street, Falls Church VA 22046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jefferson Institute (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Birch House (about 500 feet away); Columbia Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Turnpike Tollgate (about 600 feet away); Harriet and George Brice (about 800 feet away); Henry Fairfax (approx. 0.2 miles away); To the Glory of God and in Honor of George Washington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wren’s Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falls Church.
 
Also see . . .  Photographs of the Church before Expansions. (Submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 3, 2015
3. Presbyterian Church Marker
Falls Church Presbyterian Church Extensions image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 12, 2007
4. Falls Church Presbyterian Church Extensions
The historic portion of the church is blocked by the trees on the right.
Original Section of the Church image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 16, 2007
5. Original Section of the Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,745 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 2, 2009, by Carl Clifford of Arlington, Virginia.   2. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on October 5, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   5. submitted on November 18, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=2865

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 18, 2021