Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874
A passenger-freight depot erected in 1874 and rebuilt after the 1902 fire stood on the opposite side of the railroad from this site until relocated to Court Square in 1955.
Erected 1999 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1804.
Location. 32° 56.694′ N, 85° 57.207′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Court Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Alexander City: A Textile Community (about 600 feet away); The First Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church 1872 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Youngsville (approx. ¼ mile away); Needmore 1873 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Socopatoy (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexander City.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,112 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 15, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 7. submitted on March 25, 2012, by Bernie Lindsey of San Diego, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.