Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fergus in Wellington County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

 
 
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Tim Boyd, October 18, 2025
1. St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Prominently sited on a hill-top overlooking Fergus, St. Andrew's was the dominant visual landmark as well as the religious focus of this Scottish community during the second half of the 19th century. It was erected in 1862 to serve a congregation established almost 30 years before and replaced an earlier church which stood on the site. Designed by David Murray of Guelph and built of locally-quarried stone, this attractive Gothic - Revival structure is distinguished by its high-pitched roof, massive buttresses and elegant spire. Since its completion St. Andrew's has undergone several interior and exterior alterations, notably the erection in 1968 of a large addition incorporating Sunday school and meeting rooms and Fellowship Hall. The church, nevertheless, retains much of its original character.
 
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureReligion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Ontario Heritage Trust series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
 
Location. 43° 42.264′ N, 80° 22.918′ W.
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is in Fergus, Ontario, in Wellington County. It is at the intersection of Saint George Street West and Tower Street North, on the right when traveling west on Saint George Street West. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 325 St George Street W, Fergus ON N1M 1J4, Canada. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the Huron-Perth-Waterloo-Wellington Area and in Southwestern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Rupert’s Land.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: The Kissing Stane (within shouting distance of this marker); Weigh Scale Building (about 240 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Fergus Curling Club / Club de Curling de Fergus (about 240 meters away); 212 St. Andrew Street W (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Templin Gardens (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Founders of Fergus
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Tim Boyd, October 18, 2025
2. St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Marker
(approx. 0.3 kilometers away); St. David Street Bridge (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Fergus Swimming Pool (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fergus.
 
Also see . . .  A look at the history of St. Andrew's church in Fergus (Elora-Fergus Today).
There is a lot of Fergus history in St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. At one time it was not just the only church in Fergus, but also the only church between Guelph and Georgian Bay. Adam Fergusson, one of the town’s founders, laid the cornerstone on Nov. 30, 1834, on a high point of land known as the Glebe – part of the Clergy Reserves, which was augmented by a grant of 171 acres from the colonial government of Canada. The original church, a frame building with a tin spire, was built by Charles Allan; a trustee, elder, county warden and member of parliament. The church opened its doors on Aug. 23, 1835.
(Submitted on October 20, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario.) 
 
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, 2025 image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Tim Boyd, October 18, 2025
3. St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, 2025
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2025. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
m=286665

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 23, 2026