Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fergus in Wellington County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

The Fergus Curling Club
⎯⎯⎯
Club de Curling de Fergus

 
 
The Fergus Curling Club Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Tim Boyd, October 18, 2025
1. The Fergus Curling Club Marker
Inscription.  
The oldest continuously operating curling club in Ontario, the Fergus Curling Club was formed in 1834 by Scottish immigrants. At the organization's first formal meeting two years later Adam Fergusson, a founder of Fergus, was chosen president and the rules of play were established. Curling matches between local players and against rival clubs were held out of doors until 1879 when a covered rink was opened. No longer the exclusive preserve of Scots, curling became an enormously popular activity in Fergus and the rink became a social centre for the community. Seeking competition from further afield, the Fergus Curling Club entered bonspiels throughout the province, winning the Ontario Tankard in 1899. Today, it remains a significant force in inter-community curling.

Le Club de curling de Fergus, le plus ancien club de curling ayant fonctionné en Ontario sans interruption, fut formé en 1834 par des émigrants écossais. Lors de sa première réunion officielle, en 1836, les règles du jeu furent établies, et Adam Fergusson, un des fondateurs de Fergus, fut nommé président. Les rencontres locales et interclubs se déroulèrent en plein air jusqu'en 1879, date d'ouverture d'une piste couverte qui, grâce à la popularité du carling qui n'était plus l'apanage des Écossais, devint un des centres de la vie sociale. À la recherche de concurrents, le Club de curling de Fergus participa à des compétitions dans to te la province et gagna la coupe de l'Ontario en 1899. Il demeure un des clubs les plus importants du curling intercommunautaire.
 
Topics.
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 43° 42.371′ N, 80° 22.823′ W. Marker is in Fergus, Ontario, in Wellington County. It is on Saint George Street West 0.1 kilometers west of St. David’s Street North, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 St George Street W, Fergus ON N1M 1H8, Canada. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in the Huron-Perth-Waterloo-Wellington Area and in Southwestern Ontario. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Rupert’s Land.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Weigh Scale Building (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); 212 St. Andrew Street W (about 210 meters away); Templin Gardens (about 210 meters away); The Kissing Stane (about 240 meters away); St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
The Fergus Curling Club/Club de Curling de Fergus Marker (français) image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Tim Boyd, October 18, 2025
2. The Fergus Curling Club/Club de Curling de Fergus Marker (français)
(about 240 meters away); The Founders of Fergus (approx. 0.2 kilometers away); St. David Street Bridge (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Fergus Swimming Pool (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fergus.
 
The Fergus Curling Club/Club de Curling de Fergus Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Tim Boyd, October 18, 2025
3. The Fergus Curling Club/Club de Curling de Fergus Marker
The Fergus Curling Club in 1899, with the Ontario Tankard image. Click for full size.
4. The Fergus Curling Club in 1899, with the Ontario Tankard
Wellington Museum and Archives (public domain)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 22, 2025. It was originally submitted on October 20, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 20, 2025, by Tim Boyd of Hamilton, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
m=286666

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 19, 2026