Kittanning in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Armstrong County Courthouse
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list.
Location. 40° 48.97′ N, 79° 30.988′ W. Marker is in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, in Armstrong County. It is on Market Street north of South Grant Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located beside the upper level main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Market Street, Kittanning PA 16201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Greater Pittsburgh. It is also in the American Northeast, in the Mid-Atlantic, in Appalachia, and specifically in Northern Appalachia. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy and also one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: In Memory of General John Armstrong (a few steps from this marker); Armstrong County (a few steps from this marker); Armstrong Trail / Kittanning (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain Jacobs (about 600 feet away); Armstrong County Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kittanning or Attiquι Indian Town (approx. 0.3 miles away); Armstrong County Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kittanning.
Regarding Armstrong County Courthouse. Built between 1858 and 1860, the Armstrong County Courthouse is a two-story, brick and stone building measuring 105 feet by 65 feet. It has a hipped roof topped by an octagonal cupola and bell. It features a portico with four Corinthian order columns in Greek Revival style. A three-story rear addition was built in 1951-1953. It was added to the list of National Register of Historic Places on November 1, 1981, reference number 81000526.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 24, 2025. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2025, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 24, 2025, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.


