Scottsville in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Goodwill Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.
Founded in 1867 by 100 black members of Salem, Black River, Presbyterian Church (1759) desiring seperation. Dismissal granted, thus becoming the first black church in Sumter County. The congregation began meeting in Goodwill School, established by the northern Presbyterian Church thru Freedmen's Board. Rev. Matthew R. Miller (1867- 1880), a white minister, first pastor. Hamilton G. Witherspoon, in 1868, gave 2 acres for a church site. In 1890, 3.74 acres were bought from G.W. and A.M. McBride for a school site.
Dr. Irby D. Davis, was the first
black minister, 1894 - 1924
Dr. Warren J. Nelson, 1925 - 1960,
Dr. E. McKay Miller, 1961 - 1969,
Dr. Franklin D. Colclough, 1972 - 1988.
Dr. John B. Quick. 1989 - , interm supply pastor. The dedication of leaders and members of this pioneer church inspires enlarging services in religious, educational and civic activities at home and abroad.
Erected 1990 by The Sumter County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 33° 54.797′ N, 80° 9.001′ W. Marker is in Scottsville, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on Brick Church Road (State Road 527) near Goodwill Church Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mayesville SC 29104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. " Ebenezer " (within shouting distance of this marker); Goodwill School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salem (Black River) Presbyterian Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Concord Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Birthplace of Mary McLeod Bethune (approx. 5.8 miles away); St. Paul African American Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Mayesville Story (approx. 6.1 miles away); Beulah School (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,137 times since then and 309 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 19, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.