Richmond in Wayne County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The First Toll Gate
Erected 1934 by Weetomp Chapter, Daughters of the American Colonists, Mrs. Jerome Powers, Mrs. Elmer L. Rees.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists, and the The Historic National Road series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 39° 49.821′ N, 84° 52.353′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Indiana, in Wayne County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 40) near North 22th Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond IN 47374, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madonna of the Trail (here, next to this marker); Historic National Road (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Madonna of the Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Wayne (approx. 0.9 miles away); Sailor StreetTouch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. It appears that this brass tablet is no longer at the spot where the Daughters of the American Colonists originally placed it. It has been staked next to the Madonna of the Trail monument.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,769 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 20, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.