Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Upper Merion Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

War Comes to Valley Forge

The British Raid

 
 
War Comes to Valley Forge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
1. War Comes to Valley Forge Marker
Inscription.  Just upstream is the site of the Valley Forge, for which this area was named. The Continental Army used the forge to store foods and weapons. Three months before the winter encampment, the British swept through on September 18, 1777 and burned the forge and other buildings. Much-needed supplies were lost, despite the desperate attempt of a small Continental force to transport them across the Schuylkill River to safety. The British fired some parting shots at the fleeing rebels, killing one man. This small skirmish would be the only fighting to take place at Valley Forge.
 
Erected by National Park Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1865.
 
Location. 40° 6.135′ N, 75° 27.681′ W. Marker is in Upper Merion Township, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Valley Forge Road (Pennsylvania Route 23), on the right when traveling west. Marker is in Valley Forge National Historical Park, in the Washington’s Headquarters area. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: King of Prussia PA 19406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Valley Forge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
2. Valley Forge Marker
The house that served as Washington's Headquarters during the 1777-78 winter encampment can be seen behind the War Comes to Valley Forge marker in this photo.
Click or scan to see
this page online
other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Did You Know? (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington’s Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Remembering Valley Forge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Valley Creek (about 400 feet away); The Village of Valley Forge (about 500 feet away); Commander in Chief’s Guards (about 500 feet away); American Icon (about 600 feet away); Headquarters Complex (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Merion Township.
 
More about this marker. The marker contains illustrations of workers forging a cannon and of British soldiers putting the torch to the forge. Also present on the marker is a photograph of excavation of the forge, with the caption “When the forge was excavated by archeologists in the 1920s, charred timbers from the arson lay among the cannon balls, bars of pig iron, stove plates, and hardware that were found.”
 
Also see . . .  Valley Forge National Historical Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 20, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
War Comes to Valley Forge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
3. War Comes to Valley Forge Marker
Marker is located in the Washington’s Headquarters area of Valley Forge National Historical Park, near the railroad platform.
Forge Site image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 20, 2010
4. Forge Site
The Valley Forge that was burned by the British on September 18, 1777 was located at this site, about a mile south of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 20, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 735 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 20, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28835

Paid Advertisement
Dec. 6, 2021