New Tecumseth in Simcoe County, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
St. Margaret of Scotland, Tuam
This plaque was blessed and dedicated on Sunday, Sept. 14, 1997, by most Rev. Anthony G. Meagher, episcopal vicar for the northern region of the Archdiocese of Toronto.
An historical plaque of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto
Erected 1997 by Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Religion & Religious Structures.
Location. 44° 0.732′ N, 79° 43.872′ W. Marker is in New Tecumseth, Ontario, in Simcoe County. It can be reached from 2 Line 0.3 kilometers west of 15th Sideroad, on the right when traveling east. In the middle left of the St. Margarets of Scotland, Tuam Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5550 2 Line, New Tecumseth ON L0G 1T0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Central Ontario Cottage Country and specifically in Georgian Bay Country. It is also in Central Canada. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once a British colony, the Viceroyalty of New France, the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy, and Ruperts Land.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Lloydtown (approx. 3.8 kilometers away); Turner Park (approx. 5.1 kilometers away); Sir William Mulock (approx. 9.5 kilometers away); Sir William Osler (approx. 9.5 kilometers away); The Scotch Settlement (approx. 12.7 kilometers away); Masonic Arms Hotel (approx. 14.8 kilometers away); The Dutch Settlement of Holland Marsh (approx. 17.2 kilometers away); Kinghorn School (approx. 17.5 kilometers away).
Also see . . .
1. St. Margarets-of-Scotland-Tuam.
St. Margaret of Scotland, Tuam Pioneer Catholic Cemetery is located on the south side of the 2nd Concession of New Tecumseth Township (formerly Tecumseth Township, Simcoe County and also formerly South Simcoe County), Ontario and about 1 kilometre west of the 15th Sideroad.(Submitted on November 11, 2025, by Andrew Sebastian of Tottenham, Ontario.)
Tuam is the name of the four-corners country hamlet that no longer exists save for this graveyard.
The only other municipal structure was a wooden schoolhouse. Both were destroyed in the 1970s for safety reasons because they had fallen into disrepair. St. Margaret's held its first church service in 1834 and its last church service in 1952 (122 years later).
The cemetery currently falls under the immediate care of St. Patrick's in nearby Schomberg and more largely by The Archdiocese of Toronto.
A photo of the derelict church and some information can be found at this family plot website: http://www.mccabeclan.com/obrien.htm
2. Did you know there's a long-lost village in southern Simcoe County?.
Named for a town in Ireland, Tuam included a general store, a post office, and a Catholic church with around 500 parishioners(Submitted on November 11, 2025, by Andrew Sebastian of Tottenham, Ontario.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2025. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2025, by Andrew Sebastian of Tottenham, Ontario. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2025, by Andrew Sebastian of Tottenham, Ontario. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

