Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Courtview, Rogers Hall
— 1855 —
Listed Historic American Buildings Survey National Resister of Historic Places.
Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • War, US Civil.
Location. 34° 48.337′ N, 87° 40.755′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of East Ervine Avenue and North Court Street, on the right when traveling west on East Ervine Avenue. Marker is located in front of Rogers Hall on the campus of University of Northern Alabama. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35632, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Edward A. O'Neal Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Simpson House~Irvine Place~Coby Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Seminary - O'Neal Historic District (about 600 feet away); Sannoner Historic District (about 600 feet away); Locust Dell Academy (about 600 feet away); George H. Carroll Lion Habitat (about 700 feet away); Pope's Tavern Museum (about 700 feet away); 1st Lt. Chadwick McFall Barber (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
Also see . . .
1. Lauderdale County, Alabama People of the Past. George Washington Foster (Submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
2. Rogers Hall. Rogers Hall, also known as Courtview and Alumni House, located at 500 Court Street, Florence, Alabama, is a three-story antebellum structure built in 1855. It is one of the oldest historic landmarks on the University of North Alabama campus and one of the university’s most distinctive structures. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
3. University of North Alabama. Rogers Hall (Courtview) (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
1. Rogers Hall
Rogers Hall was constructed by planter George Washington Foster at the summit of Court Street (hence its original name, Courtview). Because construction would result in the permanent obstruction of a major thoroughfare, the city had to secure the approval of the Alabama Legislature before work could begin. Permission was granted with the stipulation that “the beauty of the home justify the inconvenience caused the people of the city.
— Submitted March 26, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 1,781 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.