Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arvonia in Buckingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Arvonia

 
 
Arvonia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
1. Arvonia Marker
Inscription.  The name Arvonia was derived from Caernarvon, Wales, home to the Welsh quarrymen who settled the area in the mid-19th century. Arvonia is known for the long-lasting and unfading blue-black Buckingham slate that adorns many of Virginia's historic buildings including Berkeley and the Executive Mansion, as well as Colonial Revival dwellings across the nation. Most Arvonia houses, and other buildings, are ornamented with slate; it is also used for tombstones in local cemeteries. Buckingham slate earned gold medals at the Philadelphia Exposition in 1876, the 1893 World's Columbia Exposition, and the Louisiana Purchase Exposition at the 1904 Saint Louis World's Fair.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-64.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Natural Resources. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 37° 40.886′ N, 78° 19.976′ W. Marker is in Arvonia, Virginia, in Buckingham
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County. Marker is at the intersection of James Madison Highway (U.S. 15) and Circle Drive Road (County Route 715), on the right when traveling south on James Madison Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arvonia VA 23004, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carter G. Woodson Birthplace (approx. 1.7 miles away); Carter G. Woodson (approx. 2.1 miles away); Carter G. Woodson, Ph.D. (approx. 2.3 miles away); a different marker also named Carter G. Woodson Birthplace (approx. 2.3 miles away); In Memory of Dr. Carter G. Woodson (approx. 2.3 miles away); Buckingham County / Fluvanna County (approx. 2˝ miles away); Bremo (approx. 3 miles away); Buckingham Baptist Church (approx. 5 miles away).
 
Arvonia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, February 27, 2010
2. Arvonia Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,218 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=28974

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 24, 2024