Courtland in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers
Federal lands in this area were first sold in 1818 and quickly purchased by settlers and speculators. A group of investors calling themselves the “Courtland Land Company” and consisting of William H. Whitaker, James M. Camp, William F. Broadnax, John M. Tifford, Benjamin Thomas and Bernard McKiernan acquired the future town site and had it laid off in a gridiron street pattern containing 300 lots. These were immediately put up for sale. In hopes that Courtland would become the county seat, the present square was set aside for a courthouse. Alabama’s territorial legislature incorporated Courtland on December 13, 1819.
Major Lewis Dillahunty and his wife, Lucinda, reputedly settled at Courtland in 1816. Dillahunty, a surveyor, had fought with Andrew Jackson at New Orleans. Soon afterward came wealthy planters, with their families and slaves, from Virginia, Tennessee, the Carolinas and Georgia. They were joined by merchants artisans, lawyers, doctors, preachers and innkeepers as Courtland became the trade center for the surrounding farms and plantations. A newspaper, The Courtland Herald,
Erected by the Town of Courtland.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1820.
Location. 34° 40.013′ N, 87° 18.651′ W. Marker is in Courtland, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Located in the Park Square downtown Courtland, facing store buildings. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 444 Tennessee St Courtland, Al 35618, Courtland AL 35618, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The African ~ American Experience (here, next to this marker); Courtland's Early Architecture (within shouting distance of this marker); The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster (within shouting distance of this marker); A Cotton Kingdom (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Legion - Post 58 (about 400 feet away); Harris-Simpson HomeCourtland Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Courtland.
Also see . . . Courtland, Alabama. Courtland is a town in Lawrence County, Alabama, and is included in the Decatur Metropolitan Area, as well as the Huntsville-Decatur Combined Statistical Area. As of the 2000 census, the population of the town is 769. (Submitted on March 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 2,568 times since then and 439 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 23, 2010, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.