Ocean Springs in Jackson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Farmers & Merchants Bank
This handsome building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Constructed in 1913, it originally housed the Farmers & Merchants Bank, which was the second bank opened in Ocean Springs. The two story structure has a flat roof laying behind a parapet. The building is architecturally significant as it introduced the formality and grand scale of the Neo-classic style into the business district of Ocean Springs, which at that time was made up of mostly small brick and wood frame structures.
This building is also architecturally important to Ocean Springs because it is the only large scale, early twentieth century commercial building in the downtown area to retain most of its original appearance.
In 1930, City Hall settled in the building. When the Farmers & Merchants Bank did not survive the 1930s depression, the property was acquired by the State of Mississippi for back taxes. In 1940, the property sold to O. G. Swetman for $2,500. Through the years, various owners made valiant efforts to steward the building. Water damage and blown out windows from Hurricane Elena in 1985 shook the building, but it remained strong. Rescued and refurbished in 1988, the building housed offices and retail space until it was sold in 2020. The current owners have carefully reimagined the building as a boutique hotel with offices and retail below, using exacting detail on interiors while transforming the exterior to restore the original grandeur of this impressive building.
This informational sign is part of a community project led by the Historic Ocean Springs Association, and is made possible by a grant from the Mississippi Gulf Coast National Heritage Area.
We thank the City of Ocean Springs for their support of this project.
Erected 2022 by Historic Ocean Springs Association, Mississippi Gulf Coast National Heritage Project, Mississippi Department of Marine Resources. (Marker Number 22.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1913.
Location. 30° 24.898′ N, 88° 49.672′ W. Marker is in Ocean Springs, Mississippi, in Jackson County. It is at
the intersection of Washington Avenue and Robinson Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 929 Washington Ave, Ocean Springs MS 39564, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in the American South, specifically in the Deep South, and on the Gulf Coast. Globally, it is in North America, a Gulf of Mexico state, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain, the Viceroyalty of New France, the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Ocean Springs Blues (a few steps from this marker); The Original 1912 Bandstand Moved Back Home To Marshall Park In 1989 (within shouting distance of this marker); Marshall Park in 1919 (within shouting distance of this marker); Marshall Park (within shouting distance of this marker); L&N Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); The L & N Railroad Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ocean Springs State Bank and Post Office (about 500 feet away); Lovelace Drug Store (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ocean Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2025. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2025, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 57 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2025, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

